Cost of life in New Zealand
The most expensive cities in New Zealand are Auckland and Wellington. That said, a 2012 survey ranking the most expensive cities in the world found that out of all major cities of the world, Auckland only ranked #56 and Wellington #74. That is much better than many other major cities like Sydney, London or New York. New Zealand's major metropolitan areas are indeed more affordable than those in other countries.
Here are the prices of a few very common items (prices are in NZ$):
- Big Mac $5.50
- Cup of coffee $4
- Pint of beer $8
- Milk (1L) $2.5
- 12 eggs $6
- Pasta (1kg) $2.2
- Movie ticket $17
- Gas (1L) $2.3
- Pop can $2
- Restaurant meal $40
- Rugby game $20
- Haircut $25
New Zealand's tax on goods and services is called GST (Goods and Services Tax). It is currently 15% applied on most items and services. If nothing is stated, the GST is included in the price, however, if a price is followed by “+GST” it means that you will have to add 15% to it.
Work & Travel article list
- Work and travel in New Zealand
- The picking seasons in New Zealand
- Get a Tax Refund From New Zealand
- What is the best transportation method in New Zealand?
- New Zealand working holiday arrival packs
- 10 packing hacks for a working holiday visa in New Zealand
- 10 must see places in New Zealand
- Is New Zealand safe?
- Cost of life in New Zealand
- Weather and climate in New Zealand
- Hike in New Zealand
- 7 The Lord Of The Rings and The Hobbit locations that you can visit
- 10 facts about New Zealand that will amaze you
- Best airlines to New Zealand
- Time difference and daylight saving in New Zealand
- The 10 most useful websites for a Working Holiday visa in New Zealand