Get a Tax Refund From New Zealand
Get some extra cash from your New Zealand working holiday. When working in New Zealand, you will be paying tax as part of the pay-as-you-earn New Zealand tax system. However, don't think that is the last you will have seen of that money because at the end of the financial year, which runs between April 1st and March 31st, you can apply to get a tax return for that financial year. The amount you get back depends on how much you earned that year. With a company like taxback.com, the average tax return is NZ$550.
How to get your tax refund
You can either get your tax refund through a tax return company or apply for it yourself through New Zealand's Inland Revenue Department (IRD). Doing it yourself requires a lot of preparation and paperwork to be completed. It usually takes about 2-3 months to go through this process. Find out more information on how to do the tax return yourself on BackpackerGuide.NZ's How to Get Your Tax Refund.
On the other hand, many working holidaymakers prefer to use a tax return service, like taxback.com. This method gets the tax return straight into a bank account of your choice, even if you left New Zealand a few years ago. In order to do this, you need to give about 15 minutes of your time filling out an online form or request a callback to speak to someone in your own language, so the company can get the maximum amount of tax money back to you. Take a look at the widget below to see how much money you could be owed in tax.
After applying for a tax return with a company, you can expect the money to go into your bank account in less than 10 weeks. Remember, for the tax refund service, there is a fee deducted from your payment, but you do not have to pay any money upfront.
Whatever method of getting your tax back that you decide to take, it's always worth applying to get your tax back to get some extra cash. You have nothing to lose.
Work & Travel article list
- Work and travel in New Zealand
- The picking seasons in New Zealand
- Get a Tax Refund From New Zealand
- What is the best transportation method in New Zealand?
- New Zealand working holiday arrival packs
- 10 packing hacks for a working holiday visa in New Zealand
- 10 must see places in New Zealand
- Is New Zealand safe?
- Cost of life in New Zealand
- Weather and climate in New Zealand
- Hike in New Zealand
- 7 The Lord Of The Rings and The Hobbit locations that you can visit
- 10 facts about New Zealand that will amaze you
- Best airlines to New Zealand
- Time difference and daylight saving in New Zealand
- The 10 most useful websites for a Working Holiday visa in New Zealand