Hike in New Zealand
When packing for your working holiday adventure in New Zealand there is one single item that you cannot forget: your hiking shoes! New Zealand is all about getting off the beaten track where nature is at its wildest and where breathtaking scenery await.
New Zealand has thousands of kilometers of well-maintained tracks for you to discover. On top of the list are the famous 9 Great Walks ranging from a 2 to 6 days hike showcasing the most stunning and diverse landscape in the country.
The 9 Great Walks of New Zealand are:
- Tongariro Northern Circuit
- Whanganui Journey
- Kepler Track
- Heaphy Track
- Routeburn Track
- Abel Tasman Coast Track
- Milford Track
- Rakiura Track
- Lake Waikaremoana
You've got to do one of these during your trip down here! The Department of Conservation of New Zealand (DOC) only have a limited amount of space every day to hikers wanting to go on each track, so make sure to book yours online on the Great Walks website.
For shorter hikes and tracks, head to the DOC website and start adding them to your list. Remember that New Zealand weather can change unexpectedly, so make sure to dress with a few layers that you could put on or take off as the weather changes.
Another piece of advice: Make sure to tell your plans to someone before going on a big hike. If your friend or your hostel receptionist does not see you come back, they will be the first one to start looking for you.
Work & Travel article list
- Work and travel in New Zealand
- The picking seasons in New Zealand
- Get a Tax Refund From New Zealand
- What is the best transportation method in New Zealand?
- New Zealand working holiday arrival packs
- 10 packing hacks for a working holiday visa in New Zealand
- 10 must see places in New Zealand
- Is New Zealand safe?
- Cost of life in New Zealand
- Weather and climate in New Zealand
- Hike in New Zealand
- 7 The Lord Of The Rings and The Hobbit locations that you can visit
- 10 facts about New Zealand that will amaze you
- Best airlines to New Zealand
- Time difference and daylight saving in New Zealand
- The 10 most useful websites for a Working Holiday visa in New Zealand