Is New Zealand safe?
New Zealand has the reputation to be an extremely safe country. The crime rate is at its lowest and there are no deadly animals in the country. That said, commonsense is still your best ally when travelling through our beautiful landscape. Here is a rundown of a few points of safety that you may want to be aware of.
The biggest danger of New Zealand is the sun. Due to the hole in the ozone layer being right on top of New Zealand, there is no protection between the sun radiations and your skin. You can burn within a few minutes! Make sure to put sunscreen on.
When going on a hike, a bike, a kayak or any other trip or activity off the beaten track, make sure to tell someone your plans so, if you don't return on time, they can take the appropriate measures.
In the water, be aware of current that can drag you away from the beach leaving you swimming powerless and scared. The best way to prevent this situation is to ask locals and/or to swim between the flags present on many beaches of the countries. Those are the areas patrolled by the lifeguards.
More commonsense safety precautions include: When parking your car, don't leave your valuables in plain sight. Don't leave your wallet or passport sticking out of your back pocket. If a deal is too good to be true, ask extra questions!
The emergency number in New Zealand is 111
Before leaving your country, make sure to get in touch with your consulate or embassy down here in NZ so they know that you are here and can look after you should something happen during your trip.
There are no vaccinations required in order for you to travel to New Zealand, however, if you travel on a working holiday visa, having a comprehensive medical and travel insurance is required.
Work & Travel article list
- Work and travel in New Zealand
- The picking seasons in New Zealand
- Get a Tax Refund From New Zealand
- What is the best transportation method in New Zealand?
- New Zealand working holiday arrival packs
- 10 packing hacks for a working holiday visa in New Zealand
- 10 must see places in New Zealand
- Is New Zealand safe?
- Cost of life in New Zealand
- Weather and climate in New Zealand
- Hike in New Zealand
- 7 The Lord Of The Rings and The Hobbit locations that you can visit
- 10 facts about New Zealand that will amaze you
- Best airlines to New Zealand
- Time difference and daylight saving in New Zealand
- The 10 most useful websites for a Working Holiday visa in New Zealand