The picking seasons in New Zealand
A lot of working holiday makers choose to spend their time working in farms around the country. Farming is an attractive line of work for 3 main reasons:
- Working 3 months on a farm allows working holidaymakers to extend their working holiday visa.
- Farming jobs are usually the easiest to get.
- It allows working holidaymakers to travel around the country following the picking seasons.
Fruit picking jobs do not require any experience, qualifications or skill. From picker to packer, you will join farms in their busiest seasons helping with all kinds of entry-level jobs in a fun work environment.
As mentioned, farming jobs are very seasonal. Each season will bring different types of jobs in all parts of the country:
|Season||Best area to be|
December, January, February
|Bay of Plenty, Otago, Waikato|
March, April, May
|Northland, Hawke's Bay, Nelson|
June, July, August
|Northland, Wairarapa, Marlborough|
September, October, November
|Waikato, Nelson, Marlborough, Hawke's Bay|
A couple of things worth mentioning about fruit picking in New Zealand:
- There are two ways to get paid for a fruit picking jobs. You will either be paid by the hour (the minimum wage in New Zealand is $14.25) or per piece, which means that the faster you work, the more money you make. You may also be asked to commit to a certain number of weeks for each job. Don't make promises that you cannot keep.
- The New Zealand weather can be very changeable so be ready to not work for a few days if it is a bad week, which means that having a bit of cash aside would be recommended. Speaking of the weather, if it is a sunny day, wear sunscreen – the sun in New Zealand is unforgiving.
Work & Travel article list
- Work and travel in New Zealand
- The picking seasons in New Zealand
- Get a Tax Refund From New Zealand
- What is the best transportation method in New Zealand?
- New Zealand working holiday arrival packs
- 10 packing hacks for a working holiday visa in New Zealand
- 10 must see places in New Zealand
- Is New Zealand safe?
- Cost of life in New Zealand
- Weather and climate in New Zealand
- Hike in New Zealand
- 7 The Lord Of The Rings and The Hobbit locations that you can visit
- 10 facts about New Zealand that will amaze you
- Best airlines to New Zealand
- Time difference and daylight saving in New Zealand
- The 10 most useful websites for a Working Holiday visa in New Zealand