Weather and climate in New Zealand
New Zealand's climate varies from warm subtropical in the top north to cool temperate climates in the bottom south, with alpine conditions in the mountain areas like the famous Southern Alps. It makes it quite hard to define a classic NZ climate. Typically, the South Island will be much colder than the North Island, so head to the South Island in winter for skiing and to North Island in summer for relaxing on the beach. For up-to-date weather information, METService is the most accurate weather forecast website in the country.
Average temperatures in the main cities
|Auckland||16 - 24 °C61 - 75 °F||8 - 15 °C46 - 59 °F|
|Wellington||14 - 21 °C57 - 70 °F||7 - 12 °C44 - 54 °F|
|Christchurch||12 - 22 °C54 - 72 °F||3 - 13 °C37 - 55 °F|
|Queenstown||9 - 22 °C48 - 72 °F||0 - 10 °C32 - 50 °F|
Show tempratures in : ° Celcius ° Fahrenheit
New Zealand seasons
New Zealand weather can change unexpectedly. It has been said that there are 4 seasons in one day in New Zealand! Therefore, if you're going hiking or doing other outdoor activities, dress with a few layers easy to put on and remove accordingly.
Work & Travel article list
- Work and travel in New Zealand
- The picking seasons in New Zealand
- Get a Tax Refund From New Zealand
- What is the best transportation method in New Zealand?
- New Zealand working holiday arrival packs
- 10 packing hacks for a working holiday visa in New Zealand
- 10 must see places in New Zealand
- Is New Zealand safe?
- Cost of life in New Zealand
- Weather and climate in New Zealand
- Hike in New Zealand
- 7 The Lord Of The Rings and The Hobbit locations that you can visit
- 10 facts about New Zealand that will amaze you
- Best airlines to New Zealand
- Time difference and daylight saving in New Zealand
- The 10 most useful websites for a Working Holiday visa in New Zealand